Equity Council Elections

Home Forums General Equity Council Elections

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Joe Rispoli

Equity Council Elections…
    Well the Equity Magazine is dropping through members letterboxes now, inside you will find the election papers for would be Council members, wishing to serve Equity members over the next two years. In 2004, out of a membership of 34,055 only 2,836 valid votes were received; a figure of just over 8 of Equity members. Over 31,000 Equity members did not bother to vote…
    Can I please urge all Equity members to vote this year? I am told by some, that because they do not know who some of the candidates are; they will not vote. Well my suggestion is, evaluate the election addresses, given by the candidates and base you’re voting on this. Vote for the individual rather than the faction party they represent. Currently if you stand for say the Representative group you are far more likely to be voted in; regardless of whether you are any good, or not.
    In the last election, over 80 of elected Council members were part of the Representative faction. Those elected may have never stood before; but because they represent this faction; they were voted in. In two years time I would like to see an election where nobody is allowed to say which faction they represent; so that members can make up their own minds as to which candidate they should support.
    Should we credit Equity members with the ability to make choices on individual candidates; not on factional parties; that serve no purpose for the vast majority of members? I am also a member of Bectu, which has no factional parties; and it is more democratic and open. Bectu already has its own forum for members and attending their Annual Conferences is great fun! The Bectu Journal comes out 10 months per year too.
    Do not waste your democratic right to vote; whoever you want to vote for.
    Please vote…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.