Equity General Secretary Election

Home Forums Casting Equity General Secretary Election

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonimous

To all Equity members – who are up-to-date with their subs…
    At the end of September Equity will send out election forms, for a new General Secretary. Current General Secretary Ian McGarry is retiring. There should be 3 contenders for this position. I will be one of them.
    In previous General Secretary Equity elections; 76 of Equity members did not bother to vote. Democracy is very important; if we are to have a vibrant union that is forward looking. Some members seem to think that all they have to do – is pay their subs.
    If Equity is to be a force to be reckoned with when negotiating fees with employers; we must rely on the membership for their active support. It is vital that members participate in elections. Please do not waste your vote.
    Since 1996, when I met with Oliver Heald Under Secretary of State for Social Security, to stop the government removing Class 1 N.I. Status and unemployment benefit; I have sought to improve the working conditions of all performers. From 1997 I have been campaigning against bogus agencies charging up-front fees; with great success. Equity has finally admitted in the Autumn Journal (page 10) ‘Agency Regulations may be a paper tiger’; that the DTI have misled the union membership on up-front fee regulations. It took my personal intervention on this issue, to force the DTI – to admit that bogus agencies can still take up-front fees, as a precondition to representation.
    We need to get rid of the bogus agencies, so that the legitimate ones can thrive. If you have any questions, please do let me know. Remember, whoever you support – please vote!
    Regards,
    Clive Hurst

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.