RSS Feed Twitter MySpace Facebook Digg Flickr Delicious YouTube

Self-Help Writing Workshop?

Home Forums Writing Self-Help Writing Workshop?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Barnes Brian Barnes 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brian Barnes
    Brian Barnes

Hello Everybody.
    This is total “Blue Skies Thinking”, but I’m just curious to see if there’s any interest in my idea…
    I’m a filmmaker of over 20 years’ standing. For a living, I’ve been directing and editing corporate videos and the occasional cheesy TV gameshow all my professional life – I’ve never had a day job. I’ve also made 17 short films, a few have won awards and many have sold to TV around the world.
    For the past 15 years I have been trying to find or develop a feature script, so that I can make my first feature film. Naturally, as an unknown myself, I have no *real* money or backers (why else would I be posting here?), so I can’t just pick up the phone and call David Mamet and ask him to write me a script.
    Therefore I have always relied on asking for script submissions from other unkowns. Many years later, I’ve now read hundreds of scripts and the problem I have found is that there is seemingly no end of wannabe writers out there, but they just don’t seem to understand what makes a decent script, so I have always had to write my own in order to make my shorts.
    However, writing a feature is a whole different ball game. I know – I’ve written one and shopped it round. And now I know that I can’t write a feature myself…
    So, what to do?
    I reckon we need to help each other out. I can offer the benefit of my filmmaking knowledge and experience and you can offer your writing ideas and energy.
    The idea that I have floating round in my head is to run a regular writing workshop where writers and I can huddle together and hammer out ideas and help each other along in the quest to develop stronger scripts. I can instantly tell you where you’re going right or wrong, what works and what doesn’t, and if we come up with a strong script, I have the kit, contacts and access to some small amounts of finance to get something rolling in short order.
    How about it? Am I just shouting down a blind alley, or is there some real passion out there to get things working?
    If you’re interested, please get in touch with a brief line or two about yourself and your writing ambitions. If possible, do send a paragraph or two detailing what scripts you have on offer already and what you feel your writing strengths and weaknesses are.
    If there is enough interest, I will find a Central London venue and we can get together and talk through some ideas. For the avoidance of all doubt, I am not trying to sell anything and I don’t expect any kind of payment for my time or services.
    Check me out and get in touch at http://www.brianbarnes.co.uk
    “Remember – the future is unwritten.”

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar