Beware of Spam casting
Spam Idol 12 May 08
Ever wondered what it feels like to be in the Movies? According to Symantec’s latest ‘The State of Spam’ monthly report, spammers are now posing as movie casting agents to obtain web users personal contact information and mailing addresses.
The report also reveals that spam levels are at 80 per cent in April with that number jumping as high as 87 per cent at times.
Additional highlights from this month’s report include:
– GoogleAdWords spam – new phishing emails have emerged which originate from Google AdWords – a service that allows advertisers to intelligibly connect with individuals who search using Google. The new phishing samples encourage end-users to click on a link to update their billing information and/or renew their account, leading them to a fraudulent website
– IM Buddy attack – a new interesting spam attack was spotted in April, with spammers offering users the opportunity to scan through their messenger buddy list highlighting who they would like removed from it
– Spammers “Google” the Google Brand – the emergence of phishing emails purporting to come from the Google AdWords service
– Spammer’s Who’s Who Network – social networking the spammer’s way
– Spammers: The New Movie Casting Agents – spammers posing as movie casting agents in order to steal your personal information
– IRS Phishing Tricks You into ‘Biting’ the Bait – spammers tricking you into playing a vampire