Agencies that charge

Home Forums Casting Agencies that charge

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Alan Doney

Hi Harry & Co , I am not saying they are fraud but,
    I have touched on this subject before with manys other clients.
    I have been charged by 1 agency and 1 on line directory. Yes one was a hotel recruitment in the South that charged £90 ,one poor digi photo. Promised their would be work for “all” next week e.t.c. (verbally) We sighned a contract and….In two months
    all clients I spoke to from the agency had “no work” excect a work sheet for a couple of wks containing casting calls that the artist may apply direct.(pulled because of a breach?) Maybe I am wrong?
    It was after 2 months that I was watching a BBC watchdog type programme that mentioned the Casting Directors name lets say Erik (not saying surname) and previous agency. When I quizzed about this to the agency they said that these programmes are **** and discriminate against Model/Extra agencies. They “sacked” me for being somekind of ring leader and they have put a notice across my face on web site! (quite right I say) They also implied I would not be used by any Producer because their directory has been sent out and they will inform them that they do not represent me! But I was very wrong and very bad complaining like that! , OK I am promotimg them now because they may give out loads of Extra roles they maybe good. (join on-line today)Web ad http://www.hiddenfaces.tv I am male page no 7 in directory, kids may join too. Password for products /news is —faces visage they put people forward for roles, honest. Casting director is a solid bloke. Ring him for more details his mobile is on site. He does explain very well and as he says u pay to be in directory that is sent out everywhere and it would cost u alot more if u knocked on all the doors. I hope they will lift my ban, I hate stripe across my face on photo and I would pay another £90.!
    any comments ?

..I still do not agree with paying those amounts of money to agencies. It is however not unusual for agencies to ask for a small fee where they SHOULD state what the fee is for (i.e. admin costs), but an agency should take a percentage from what you earn, and not generally ask for that sort of money upfront. From what I have read Harry, this agency seems dodgy and unorganised to say the least, and I think we need to be very careful when approaching agencies asking for large amounts of money upfront.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Harry, not sure if your message completed, what was the reaction of the ‘casting’ company and did your people manage to discourage anyone from signing with them? I bet they could not beleive thier luck to find a BBC film crew there at the same time!
    A similar (maybe the same) company came to a Hotel where I live and parents were paying £150 to regsister their children, I think it’s a disgrace.
    Best wishes Bob

I was in Birmingham doing a scene for a CBBC childrens tv programme last week, and at my hotel there was a open audition from a new agency for any one, any age with or with out experience to become a TV extra/actor. The fee £90.
    I was with a CBBC director, producer and camerawomen and crew, plus a fellow actor in the scene to be shot in a disused jail. There was also going to be three extras each paid the going rate for a days shoot and got from a select extras agency the BBC use. They were not with us at the time.
    The hotel lobby was full of people filling in forms and wanting a chance to be in TV.
    Our exec Producer commented on the fact that not in a million years would he ever use a agency that charged people to be extras, especially ones that promote anyone can join, even without experiance.
    Most large productions companies use the same extra agencies and another souce of extras according to this BBC producer is students at Drama collages and acting schools around the UK. (those that allow their students do do paid work during the course that is)
    So to see what all these people were getting for their money and as the BBC were listed along with Channel 5 and ITV as being clients, the exec producer, the director and us two filled in the form and were lead into a presentation were a hundred or so people were told that they had to give one photo and £90 to be on a web site and in a ‘Casting Contacts’ directory which is used by the whole industry.
    At the end of a session of major claims by this agency, questions were invited, so my exec producer asked as there was a number of children with parents who wanted to get their child acting work, could the agency explain the laws on child working? which of course they couldn’t. They were not even aware that children are suppose to have a registered chaperone or parent on set or the working hours of children, which was odd as they claimed to supply many extra roles for children.
    ‘The Bill’ was also mentioned as a show were extras are got from this agency. So again the exec producer asked about Pearson TV and asked were in London ‘The Bill’ is fimed mostly, because as a possible extra he needed to know how far he had to travel each day for jobs.
    Again they didn’t know the name of the studio or know of the connection of Pearson with ‘The Bill’.
    Our exec producer then said who he was and that CBBC would never use such a agency as this for extras and adv

Things like getting a part in a student film etc, which are often listed on UK screen, gives you a showreel which although is often non paid, can be sent to rep agents who at least can see your work.
    Also there are a number of Drama schools out there who do part time evening and weekend courses, which again may get you noticed at a end of year production.
    Even doing am dramatics and having your part videod, shows you in a better light then saying you were in a crowd scene as a extra with acting agents.
    Any one leaving near London, and can get to City Lit, they are getting a good reputation as with part time acting courses. RADA recommend them for students who don’t pass their audition, to gain experiance. The courses esp the one and two year are run along the lines of a drama school, with entry via audition and full day intervews etc.
    The cost from about £70 for unwaged to £400 per year. Now its not RADA or Central, but also its not ten grand a year or so, and again if you go on to do year two, and half of year one don’t get on the second year course (which again is via a even more extended audition), then at end, agents and the like are invited to see your work.
    Now if you have talent, this is a sort of better place to see it mature and progress and often cheaper then paying some extra agency.

Yes sorry, the end of my message was cut off, the exec producer with me said that tthey use a select band of casting agencies for extra work, none that charge a client with no experience a up front fee. Also extras esp children asre often sought via stage and drama schools, and for adults, drama schools. (although many drama school s ban students from paid work in the field while on the course)
    ‘Spotlight’ is widely used in the BBC as last year they were issued with the interactive version so that casting directors can view direct. Getting into ‘Spotlight’ isnt guarenteed, and they must see pro work and or pro training on your application form. That is the only real casting directory to aim for.
    I got this role, and previous a role as the baddie in a BBC2 drama direct from ‘Spotlight’
    Agencies who I see other actors from at auditions for commercials are ‘Guys and Dolls’ – who I have been told are active in providing extra work on Channel 5’s ‘Family Affairs’ (this has been confirmed last night when a drama student said she was with them and also another friend said the same. (they are not charging at present and on ‘the Stage’
    I am with a agency called MOT, who don’t charge, apart from £12 if you want to go on their web site, but it doesnt make any differance if you do or not, as they know what they want and out of the few who applied, I was the only one taken on based on my look. Then nice to find out a few weks later that they had seen me perform live and am getting some good castings with them inc 118 118 advert and recenly a poster campaign for the new Black Ball film, with fees of £500 plus offered if i was successgul at the casting for that one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Alan
    I’m a bit confused sorry, Is Hidden Faces the agency that called you a ring leader etc? and what did they say to make you promote them so much now?
    We do not know thier track record, I think £90 is expensive, and I have never heard of them mentioned by fellow Supporting Artistes on jobs before.
    They have a smart web site (and I saw your crossed out entry on page 7), I wonder has anyone else on this forum joined them or had any work?
    Best wishes Bob

Alan Doney

Answer to Robert, The agency threaten legal action if you complain, they even have a clause in the contract/terms (can be view on thier web site) about not being “negative or un-friendly” towards them. I guess they have all that money to be able to sue you (£20- 30 000) for “Book Fees” each year.
    Yes legually they do not charge “Joining Fee” but a “Book Fee” for one year after one year you pay again and they promise to “use” you as you have been waiting a long time.
    They actually interview you and so you will feel “chuffed” at gaining a place on their books! They say they open books every 6 months and take on 50 ish clients but they just carry on (350?). There is an advert in last Thursdays weeks ” The Stage” saying quote “50 urgently wanted to start ASAP” just as it did with ours.
    I am thinking of, well if it is legal then why don’t we all do it?? concience I guess?
    Worse thing is they may make a fortune while it is all legal and above board. If I offered you 3 days a week work for a year(Equity Rates) on “The Bill” for £100 fee would you?

A new law is coming into force which will prevent all employment agencies from charging a joining fee. However, because this is to be applied across the board (not just in our industry) it is somewhat general in its wording and will still allow charges for “services”. It does mean, though, that it will be easier to identify rogue agencies. For further information or to report possible cons please contact the Equity helpdesk.

Guy, I’m so with you.. name this idiots, that try to take advantage of this profession’s vulnerability- my policy is to NEVER pay an agency upfront- even though I know that in some cases it may be justified to pay a small fee. I guess as artists we have to be very alert as there’s always a con artist out there ready to try and con you (or us).

James Austin

Same thing happened in Slough last year. £160 to go on their “books” for modelling, extras, major film and TV auditions etc. etc.
    There were hundreds of people there. Strangely enough, this agency said that they couldn’t GUARANTEE how much work one would get from them, but they had over 80 other agencies they could send your details to. I just laughed at them.
    How these people have the nerve to con so many people at one time is an absolute mystery to me.
    It makes me wonder how many poor people listed on this site have actually been “conned”, and now realise what’s happened.
    Hopefully if we keep spreading the word we can stop people being conned and put the “scum” agencies out of business.
    James

I’ve also been “done” by agencies like this in the past too, which is one of the reasons i decided to set up my own legitimate agency with no joiing or admin fees. Many of you have already contacted me about this. Hopefully the agency will be ready to start by the beginning of Oct, depending on funding. I can’t remember the name of the company I was “conned” by but it appeared on watchdog a few years ago. This was a agency to find an agent. i was having trouble finding an agent that wouldn’t charge joining fees. They said there would be no more money to pay and if they didn’t find and agent they would refund the money. Everyone that applied to them was guarenteed 1 agent as they were the same company. Every agency they found me wanted additional joining fees and because they offered me a agent which i refused i wasn’t entitled to a refund.
    It is actually illegal for agencies to charge an admin or joining fee. agencies are only allowed to charge a free if they provide an additional service to help promote you eg a website directory where clients can see your picture and details or additional directory (employment agencies act 1973).
    Don’t pay any money to agencies before they get you work, because they won’t look for any. they’ve already been paid why should they do any extra work?!!!
    true agencies only charge commission. If you want to find a agent and don’t want to be riped off then look in contacts. it’s only £11, will save you a fortune!!!

I keep hearing about this new law to protect us from rogue agencies like pnp casting (which I expect this agency either were or were like), but when is this law to be introduced? Never pay money unless you know they have a good reputation – I did pay but to an agency who accepted me based on my experience, and who have found me work on Nickleodeon, The Bill etc. Ask around – actors are always here to give advice and help each other out!
    Gillian Battersby

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.