Modelling scams – Upfront fees petition to Downing Street

Home Forums Casting Modelling scams – Upfront fees petition to Downing Street

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi,
    Since having been conned by a so-called agency called Ro****ous, I started a Downing Street petition calling for these type of agencies to be banned from charging up-frt fees. This practice is in effect a reward for doing nothing, instead of taking thier commission out of subsequent modelling contracts, which is reward for doing something!
    Please visit http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Modelling-Scams/ and tell all your friends, and ask them to tell their friends…… Let’s make this one something to rival the road toll charging petition!
    Best regards,
    Blott

I have recently been asked by two of my agencies to start paying to be on their website. Now these are reputable modelling/acting agencies, but at £100 each on top of your Equity and Spotlight subsriptions, that’s quite steep!
    It annoys me that they take this kind of money to “promote” us, when it shouldn’t really cost more than about £10 for every performer on the site.
    I am unlikely to make that money back immediately with the reduced hours I can now spend on modelling/acting, so I am really not sure what to do.
    What do others think?

Hi Wayne,
    Since falling foul of a company called Rondevous, who charged my wife £180 to be introduced to modelling agencies who then also wanted to charge her to go on their books (the address of one agency was in the same building as Rondevous!), and since talking with some professionals concerned at the similar antics by other agencies who do nothing to promote their clients but simply get very rich on the up front fees, I have come to realise that the situation is more widespread than I first thought. If you have any doubts about any company who charges up front fees to go on a register, I suggest you contact Clive Hurst at http://www.anactor.net He has campaigned for many years to try to get the law changed, but without much success. He may be able to name some of the more shady firms doing this. They often change names and usually advertise in newspapers for photo shoots in hotels and pubs; don’t touch them with a bargepole!
    I’m sure there are companies out there who do bust a gut to get you work, but the advice I have received is that the best agencies never charge up front; they take their cut from the work they find their models and actors. Up front fees are no incentive for companies to find you work. Some agencies anounce on their websites that they do not charge up front fees, so shop around.
    If I was going to join any agency who wanted money first, I’d ask to speak with people on their books and see how they’ve been treated. Word of mouth is still the best arbiter of performance!
    Regards,
    Blott

Wayne Joseph

I too had been asked by 2 casting agencies to be on their websites..
    Both costing £117:50. It’s way too steep for me pay both these companies at once.
    I did tell them that I don’t have enough funds to cover the costs.
    So, I’m just gonna see how it goes as the year goes..
    If I don’t get anymore from them as a result.. fine.
    I’ll probably just go to another agency..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.