Voiceovers!

Home Forums General Voiceovers!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    KookyBiz

Hi to all Voiceovers,
    I was wondering whether every voiceover is having trouble getting work or whether its just me! And the industry as a whole. A short time ago it was a good business to be in, but now it seems to be over-saturated.
    All I want to know whether work is hard to come by for everyone or whether its just me! And is there any advice you could give me, I have done my voiceover training with ‘Voicemaster UK’, ive marketed myself very well, and was wondering what else I could do that im not doing?
    Any feedback would be most welcome! Its a lonely business, too.
    Thanks
    Julie

KookyBiz

Hi Sally,
    Many thanks for your input, ive just learnt a few things about my demo that is helpful, ive got on there things that are not suitable for my voice, so Im having to redo it. Ive also been advised to get experience by doing Hospital Radio which is a great idea that im going to follow up on.
    Agents I would avoid if possible, when your starting out they would not be interested anyway not until you have some credits under your belt.
    Its all one big learning curb, the hardest bit is knowing something is wrong but not knowing what, but luckily I have just had someone put me right, all I have to do is act on it. Il get there in the end, lol!
    Cheers again for the your input,
    kind regards,
    Julie Summerton

It is lonely and competitive, isn’t it?
    Well, here’s my input- I’m not at all competitive!
    I’m on voicefinder.biz and voiceovers.co.uk – most of my work finds me through that. It is a tad quiet at the moment. Not helped by most actors now realising they could work in v/o and undercutting us all!
    I assume you’re direct marketing- I’d love to know how you go about that, whether you respond to specific castings or just mail out to general employers. Also, whether you work with an agent- I don’t…
    I’m about to re-record my voice reel, too, which I hope will attract a bit more attention.
    Good luck!
    Sally

Who’s giving you advice? Wish I had a mentor!
    Yes, being specific is an excellent piece of advice, and your site is the key to doing that (and being able to print out CDs!).
    My main problem is that I have all the materials, publciity etc but no one to send them to! Answers on a postcard…
    Are there specific places that voice work is advertised, or should I simply send stuff to people who are using voices…?
    Sally

Mike Busson

Hi Julie,
    It does seem to be quiet at the moment so it’s a good time to re-evaulate what you’re doing and how to market yourself. I’ve spoken to a few people recently and have decided to go back into the studio and record some more material focussing on short sound bites using my natural speaking voice. Most of my current showreel material is character driven with only one ‘natural’ piece and the advice I was given was ‘your natural voice is the key to the door’.
    Another piece of advice which I’ll be actioning is to only send specific samples to people. You may have 5-6 mins of material but, in truth, most people won’t listen. Send a 30-60 sec sample that is specific to the role you’re applying for or that best illustrates your natural voice. Most PC’s have CD writing facilities and CD-R’s are pretty cheap.
    If you have a website, use the site to provide access to a number of samples so that if people want to listen to more of your voice they can.
    Most important of all, keep plugging away and keep the faith !
    Mike

KookyBiz

Hi Mike,
    Im glad I put something on the noticeboard now, ive had excellent feedback and advice, one is to do with the natural voice as you have mentioned. And the advice you have given to keeping it very short and specific, is one that I will adopt.
    Its when I was speaking on the phone to someone that they said thats the voice you should use, your natural voice.
    And also no matter how much you practice at home, you have got it just perfect when you get into the studio, it does’ant come out the same. Inexperience I guess.
    What I have done with my website is turn it into voiceover directory, as it is very well marketed (shame about my voicefile), but you are quite welcome to join if you so wish, the address is; http://www.voiceofthesolentproductions.com.
    If all you want to do is add your website link then its only a tenner.
    Anyway Mike check it out sometime.
    Kind regards,
    Julie

KookyBiz

Hi Sally,
    The ironic thing is im doing all the right things via marketing myself, but nothing so I guess its the opposite for me, but I have had some really great feedback, and one of the most important bit was using my natural voice. Ive been trying too hard to act, that it sounds unnatural, and it sounds like its being read. Anyway Sally I have things now I can work on, which is positive.
    But what I have done with regard to my website is turned it into a voiceover directory aimed at newcomers and those having problems being placed alongside more experienced.
    My demo is not up to scratch, but you are quite welcome to come onto my site; as its very well marketed on google, and many other places.
    Ive changed my site quite a bit today; http://www.voiceofthesolentproductions.com.
    And ive tried to keep the fees down as low as possible. Most directories charge in the region of £50 upwards. So im charging £30 for profile and voicefile, and £10 if you want a link to your website.
    Have a look around and see what you think! If you think £30 is too much tell me how much would be a good fee, that you would be happy with.
    Sally if you come on now when there is no competition but lots of traffic, you will be in the best position to get voiceover work.
    Anyway have a think about it…and let us know!
    Kind regards,
    Julie

Mike Busson

Sally – how do you find voicefinder and voiceovers.co.uk ? I’ve not joined them for a number of reasons (not least cost) but was wondering if they were worth it.
    In terms of places to send your URL or CD’s, there’s no easy answer. It really is a case of throw enough mud at the wall and some of it will stick. Keep your eyes peeled on the usual web based casting services, PCR and such like.
    Have you posted voice clips on your Spotlight page ? They’re free to add until January so well worth sorting this side of Christmas.

James Preece

Hi everyone,
    I’ve recently been doing some VO work too. I have just joined voicefinders so I’m really hoping to get some more work. I’ve also got my sound clips on my official website so I pass that on to potential employers. I can recommend Mike to anyone that needs a website as he’s done a brilliant job with mine !
    I registered with Voices123 and they keep sending me potential “leads” but you have to be a paying member to reply. The ones I’ve had seem interesting though – has anyone had any experience of them ?
    James
    http://www.jamespreece.com

Well, I’ve been with voicefinder since september, and I got work within the first month! They don’t offer to house as many samples as voiceovers, but then I haven’t had much work from them: I joined earlier in the month.
    I think it depends on whether there’s a lot of comeptition, or a niche for your voice- have a browse on their and see if you stand out.
    Also vocefinder give you the option of paying monthly, so I did this to begin with and got work so quickly I decided to invest in a year’s membership…
    My two sites:
    http://www.voicefinder.biz/?page=casting_room&subpage=details&id=621
    http://www.voiceovers.co.uk/sally.beaumont/
    Also, my personal site:
    http://www.sallybeaumont.com
    Back to the grindstone…
    Sally

James Preece

Typical – I get a call this morning on my answerphone offering me a VO job, but when i call then back 15 mins later they had offered it to someone else ! Oh well, at least it’s still a positive thing I guess.

Drat!
    How do you find out about castings etc? Where do you advertise yourself.
    I’m a female v/o so no competition!
    Sal

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.